1902: The new Fairhaven-New Bedford Bridge is completed.
1902: Financed by Henry H. Rogers, the new Atlas Tack factory opens at Pleasant Street.
|Atlas Tack Factory|
1902, September 8: Classes are held for the first time at the Rogers School Annex , or the Washington Street School. The former Unitarian Church building had been purchased and outfitted as a school by Henry Huttleston Rogers and donated to the town.
1903: Spurred by a passing comment speech in an 1888 lecture by Franklin Dexter on Fairhaven history, the Fairhaven Improvement Association dedicates Cooke Memorial Park and installs a bronze plaque claiming that Cooke was buried there.
1905, April 1: Ground is broken for the new Fairhaven High School, built for Henry H. Rogers by the firm of Brigham, Coveney and Bisbee.
1905, May 21: The first Catholic Mass in Fairhaven is celebrated at Phoenix Hall by the Fathers of the Sacred Hearts.
|St. Joseph's Church|
1906, April 11: In an informal ceremony on the 50th anniversary of his graduation from Fairhaven High School, Henry Huttleston Rogers, with family, close friends and town officials, dedicates the new Fairhaven High School, the last public building he donated to his hometown.
1907, May 7: Henry H. Rogers writes his will, bequeathing $100,000 in trust to the Town of Fairhaven for the maintenance of the primary and grammar schools of Fairhaven.
1907, December 13: Fairhaven High School, the Academy Building, and the land at 12 Huttleston Avenue are transferred by Henry H. Rogers to the Town of Fairhaven.
1908: Two Providence, RI, doctors begin the manufacture of Gold Bond Medicated Powder in Fairhaven. The powder was packed into tin dispensers in the old Fountain Hall building on Main Street directly north of the Phoenix building.
1908, June 21: The cornerstone is laid for the Church of the Sacred Hearts at the southwest corner of Main and Dover streets.
1908, October 28: At a special town meeting Fairhaven accepts the gift of Robert Cushman Park from Henry H. Rogers.
1909: Frederick T. Browne buys Levi Snow's drugstore business at the northeast corner of Main and Center streets and opens Browne's Pharmacy.
1909, May 19: Henry H. Rogers dies at his New York home at the age of 69.
1911, September 10: Sacred Hearts Academy opens on Main Street in North Fairhaven.
1912: The Fairhaven Colonial Club is established in conjunction with the celebration of the town’s centennial. A collection of historical artifacts and art is collected by the group and displayed in the Academy Building.
1912, February 28: Sarah (Cox) Anthony dies, leaving the Town of Fairhaven $10,000 in trust to be used for educational purposes in memory of her husband Edmund Anthony Jr., who had been publisher of the Standard-Times.
1912, November 22: A Special Town Meeting adopts the division of Fairhaven into two voting precincts, the dividing line being the center of North Street, Long Road, Boston Hill Road and Oak Grove Lane.
1914: Four rooms are added to the Oxford School and a cupola is added on the roof to house the “Paul Revere bell,” which originally hung atop Phoenix Hall.
1914, May 14: Town Meeting votes to set aside a 12-acre portion of the Town Farm on the east side Main Street in North Fairhaven for park purposes.
1915, May 1: The Oxford Branch of the Millicent Library is opened in a first floor room in the rear of Oxford School. Mr. Stanley Kendrick is placed in charge of the branch and its collection starts with 835 books, 70 of which are in French.
1917, June 26: The town appropriates $38,000 for the building of the Job C. Tripp elementary school.
1918, June 7: The children of Henry H. Rogers set up a trust fund of $479,000, the interest from which is to be use for “the support and maintenance” of Fairhaven High School.
1918: July 4: In a ceremony at Fairhaven High School stadium, Japanese Ambassador Kikujiro Ishii presents a samurai sword to Fairhaven on behalf of Dr. Toichiro Nakahama, the son of Manjiro Nakahama.
1920, September 25: The original Fairhaven High School on the west side of Main Street just north of the Fairhaven New Bedford Bridge is sold to building wrecker Alpide Cote of New Bedford for $550. The building is razed shortly thereafter.
|Edmund Anthony School|
1922, April 16: The first service is held at the new Church of the Good Shepherd Church on Main Street.
1923, January: The American Theatre opens on Main Street opposite Oxford School. The new brick building has store fronts and the theater on the first floor and offices and a large hall above.
1924: Fairhaven establishes a Planning Board and begins the process of zoning properties.
|St. Mary's Church|
1925, May 3: The new St. Joseph’s Church on the northwest corner of Spring and Adams streets is dedicated.
1926: Peirce and Kilburn Shipyard moves from New Bedford to the former Atlas Tack works at Rodman's Wharf on Fort Street.
1926, April 13:Cara L. Broughton, daughter of Henry H. Rogers, presents selectmen with a check for $5,000 to be used for the purchase of Fort Phoenix, to be preserved as a town park.
1928, February 11: Town Meeting votes to dedicate the triangular piece of land at the junction of Adams and Main streets in Memory of Ernest J. Benoit of Wilding Street, who was killed in World War I.
1929: New Bedford businessman John Duff sells 90 acres on the west side of Mill Road to Sound Airways, which will operate an airport serving Fairhaven and New Bedford.
1929: William F. Nye Company builds a factory building just east of the Coggeshall Street Bridge and relocates its operation there from Fish Island in New Bedford.
1930, August 19: The 700 lb. carved wooden statue of Our Lady of Angels, created by sculptor Monteiro Borges of Oporto, Portugal, arrives in Fairhaven and is enshrined in St. Mary’s Church.
1930, September 22: The first Feast of Our Lady of Angels is held in North Fairhaven.
1930, November 4: A referendum vote approves an act to established representative government by limited town meeting in Fairhaven, 1,434 in favor, 572 opposed.
1931, October: The first addition to Fairhaven High School is dedicated. The addition, costing about $212,000 to build and outfit, contains classrooms, shops and an auditorium. It is to be used primarily for junior high school classes. It connects to the rear of the main building by an underground passage.
1934: Huttleston Avenue, which originally ran from the Fairhaven-New Bedford Bridge to Adams Street, is extended as part of the new U.S. Route 6 to the junction of Spring Street, Washington Street and the “Mattapoisett Road.”
1935: The American Theater in North Fairhaven becomes Keith Theater.
1935, September 3: Passenger service of the Fairhaven railroad line is discontinued.
1936, October 21: President and Mrs. Franklin Delano Roosevelt pay their last visit to the Delano Family Homestead at 39 Walnut Street following a campaign speech in New Bedford.
1937, October 17: Stop signs are installed at the intersection of Adams Street and Howland Rd.
1938, September 21: The “Great New England Hurricane of 1938,” the region’s worst storm of the century, strikes Fairhaven, destroying about 400 homes.
1939, July 5: Livesey Memorial Park is dedicated in memory of Thomas Livesey.
1940, January 10: High school principal Chester M. Downing announces that F.H.S. will cease athletic relations with Fall River’s Durfee High School because of “a series of unpleasant experiences.”
1940, April 4: The cupola atop the Phoenix Building is removed.
1940, June 8: The last Fairhaven electric trolley line, North Fairhaven, is replaced with a bus route.
1943: Fairhaven’s airport closes and the property once again becomes farmland.
1944, February 2: The former Tabitha Inn is dedicated at Our Lady's Haven, a Catholic nursing home.
1944, July 19: Walter Silveira, the first Fairhaven selectman of Portuguese descent, is elected to fill the unexpired term of the late Thomas Whitfield. Silveira will go on to serve 44 years in that office.
1946: West Island, except for a tiny section of U.S. Government Land (at the watch tower) is owned by the West Island Co. of St. Louis. The island changes ownership twice during the year, being finally owned by Fairhaven Estates, a corporation established by real estate developer Arthur F. Gobron. Plans are made for the construction of 700 homes, but by 1950 only 150 will be built.
|Methodist Church fire|
1946, June 21: The Macomber family opens Mac;s Soda Bar on Sconticut Neck.
1946, November 13: A fire causes heavy damage to the interior of Keith’s Theater on Main Street.
1947: Sconticut Neck Improvement Association forms.
© COPYRIGHT 2003, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016. 2017 by Christopher J. Richard. All rights reserved.